Monday, November 24, 2008

Elisa Concert


The Elisa concert was really fun! I had never been to the Doug Fir, only driven by and it looked like such a small place. Downstairs is where they have the concerts. There must have been maybe 100 people. I was right up front and took some good pics, well, a lot came out blurry because I couldn't use my flash, oh well. I was able to make a video, but got caught 3/4 of the way by her tour manager and had to cut it. Of course, there had to be a few stronzos in the crowd and one plowed his way to the front when she started singing, "Gli Ostacoli Nel Cuore". The guy was obliterated and he threw himself on the stage. Elisa just kind of looked at the guy in disbelief, or maybe it was disgust??!! Then there was one guy who kept yelling, "Canta Caruso!!" and she seemed to get annoyed, and told him, "If you want to sing Caruso, why don't you come up here. We've got an extra microphone." Then there was Lucia, the "godmother" of the Italian community of Portland who had to let Elisa know, "Tutti siamo Italiani" Mamma mia...



Anyhow, at the end of the show the crowd was being shuffled out by security, unless you had a bracelet which allowed you to stay for the meet and greet. My group was sort of all huddled in the corner and we just kept speaking Spang-talian amongst ourselves and just smiled and nodded when asked if we had bracelets. They never checked, just asked. So we weezled our way into the meet and greet!! Elisa was really nice, and really humble. There were a few Italian medical professionals amongst us and Elisa commented on how she had met a young Italian doctor who had come to the States to pursue his career here in Arkansas. The guy drove seven hours to see her show and she was totally humbled by this. She said, "E veramente un pecato" that Italian professionals have to leave home to find a better life. I had a lot of fun and met some really cool people. I just wish my Italian could have been here too. Soon baby, soon!

Here is the link to the pic that was taken with Elisa. I couldn't copy it, so I have to ask the photographer about buying it from him. That's me on the right next to her :)

http://flickr.com/photos/scasso/3055518922/in/set-72157609797932470/


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's wonderful you got to meet her! Love the pic and video. I met Laura Pausini and Carmen Consoli (both here in the states) and they were both very humble as well! It's very refreshing to find that.
Glad you had fun. Happy (early) Thanksgiving btw! :)

Leanne was in Italy now in Australia said...

I am so glad you liked the concernt!

Rosa said...

Wow, you really were close ! What a wonderful night you had.

Anonymous said...

it looks like a very intimate venue... what a great experience! Happy Thanksgiving.

Karen said...

Wow, you are so lucky! I love Elisa's music.